March 17, 2009

10 Good Reads

I'm not saying these are THE top ten books or even my top ten favorites, but books that have shaped my thinking/writing.
  • Gertrude Stein's Tender Buttons (expected, no?)
  • Rosmarie Waldrop's Lawn of Excluded Middle (OOP, but can be found in Curves to the Apple)
  • Samuel Beckett's Waiting for Godot (okay, not poetry, but you have to give me this one)
  • Frank O'Hara's Lunch Poems
  • Lyn Hejinian's My Life
  • Harryette Mullen's S*PeRM**K*T and Trimmings (also OOP, so go get Recyclopedia)
  • Mei-mei Berssenbrugge's Empathy (OOP, check it out of yr local library)
  • Gloria AnzaldĂșa's Borderlands/La Frontera: The New Mestiza (bow to the hybrid)
  • Li-Young Lee's Rose and Joy Harjo's She Had Some Horses and In Mad Love and War (all three for nostalgic reasons)
  • Lee Bartlett's The Greenhouse Effect and Talking Poetry (I studied with Lee in grad school, and working with him was important for my expansion, development, etc.)
  • Donald M. Allen and Warren Tallman's The Poetics of the New American Poetry 
  • Yes, I exceeded the number 10.